We had the privilege of working Metal Insider & Scion’s No Label Needed Contest & Series where one lucky band won the opportunity to record (at legendary Machine Shop) and put out an album for free. The winners are Minneapolis, MN’s own Iron Thrones. They sent us a copy of the record and it’s incredible! Go check out the new Myspace Page we launched for them to preview the previous EP that’s equally as great. This is a really great contest and awesome that we were asked to be a part of it.
We’ve been fortunate to start working with skateboarding legend and icon Mike Vallely. I’ve been a fan of his since I first saw Public Domain in the late 80’s so it’s pretty awesome that we’re now doing work with him. It’s very inspirational that Mike has continued his career in skating and managed to not only stay relevant throughout his 20+ years of riding but to consistently grow, attract and inspire new fans regularly.
Mike just finished up a cross country meet and greet tour where he shook hands and hung out with hundred of kids, and adults, at various Zumiez locations. I rolled out to witness this when he came through the area and the reaction and support he got was incredible. He’s since posted a video about his travels and as his blog describes it "a candid, behind the scenes portrait of Mike V, and his unwavering dedication to his fans – young and old during his Zumiez signing tour in March 2010. Video made by Mark Choiniere.
Check out the video here.
Aaron has been sending around demos for a new band he’s been working with called The Ninth Gate. The tracks have been killer and I was amped when he told me they just shot a music video for their track ‘Greater Rebellion’. It’s awesome how great this came out. I’m stoked for Aaron and his new band and new video abilities! Be sure to check out their new Myspace Page for 2 tracks and the video. You won’t be disappointed.
Yesterday was a huge day for us at the Sons camp. We helped launch a new entertainment company (which we are the creative directors for) called Good Fight Entertainment. Good Fight is comprised of 3 combined entities:
GOODFIGHTENTERTAINMENT.com – a management firm representing the biggest names in metal including Cannibal Corpse, Job For A Cowboy, Behemoth and other.
GOODFIGHTMUSIC.com – a newly formed label with artists Conditions, Son Of Aurelius, This Or The Apocalypse and more.
As well as a sports division working with BMX rider Dakota Roche and skateboarding legend and icon Mike Vallely.
To say we’re excited is an understatement. The new company is definitely going to keep us extremely busy and working on some of the best projects of our careers. Take time to read over the press release for the company and keep your eyes out for new Good Fight related artwork.
We couldn’t be happier for Issue Oriented (hosted and operated by our longtime friend Ronen Kauffman) for launching their 50th podcast episode yesterday. If you’re not a subscriber of this amazing podcast then you should start immediately. They host all their current and past episodes and a lot more content on their site. Be sure to head over and take a listen.
Issue Oriented’s 50th episode features Shadows Fall vocalist Brian Fair weighing in on the Grammys, the ever-changing music industry, the value of content and more. Lots of insight here, which is no surprise – Shadows Fall are one of the world’s most well-known bands.
Ronen also asked me to take a look back at the past 50 episodes and tell him which was my favorite and why. Listen to me, Ray Harkins (Mikoto, Taken), and James Hepplewhite (Pastepunk.com) all reflect on our favorite Issue Oriented moments over the years.
Congrats Ronen and IO – we are looking forward to listening to another 50!
Our good friend Tom Bejgrowicz of Man Alive Design teamed up with his long time friend and former Danzig, Samhain bassist Eerie Von to create a pictorial/biography of Eerie’s time spent in Lodi, NJ (birthplace to the Misfits) as well as a wealth of experiences with Danzig and the like. From Eerie’s days shooting The Misfits while still attending Lodi High with, Doyle, his classmate to the formation of Samhain all the way to playing stadiums with Danzig, the book documents one of the most important and infuential underground music scenes of the modern era. Forewords for the book by Lyle Preslar (Minor Threat) and Mike d. (Killswitch Engage).
With over 160 pages, 250+ photos, rare memorabilia, killer stories and captions – “Misery Obscura” is the perfect compliment to everything The Misfits, Samhain & Danzig. A perfect gift for the holidays.
Our good friend Tim just sent us a link to a movie poster for Ryan Reynold’s new film Buried. Hmmm, it looks strikingly similar to something else. You be the judge.
1. Birth of my daughter Zoe (I know it’s not an album, but definitely my #1)
2. Silversun Pickups – Swoon
3. Coalesce – OX + OXEP
4. Metric – Fantasies (+ acoustic performance)
5. Jason Lytle – Yours Truly, the Commuter
6. Ladyfinger (ne) – Dusk
7. Burnt By The Sun – Heart Of Darkness
8. Cursive – Mama, I’m Swollen
9. Goes Cube – Another Day Has Passed
10. Dead And Divine – The Machines We Are
11. Thrice – Beggars
12. P.O.S. – Never Better
13. Gaza – He Is Never Coming Back
14. Nirvana – Bleach Reissue
15. The Title Fight – The Last Thing You Forget
Anticipations for 2010
1. Good Fight Music / Entertainment
2. New office
3. The return of the almighty Disembodied
4. Foxy Shazam’s new album
5. Coalesce on tour
1. Jay-Z “Blueprint 3”
2. POS “Never Better”
3. Enter Shikari “Common Dreads”
4. Wale “Attention Deficit”
5. Sage Francis “Sick of Wasting…”
6. Brother Ali “US”
7. Cage The Elephant “self-titled”
8. Eyedeas & Abilities “By The Throat”
9. Evergreen Terrace “Almost Home”
10. Kid Cudi “Man on the Moon : The End of Day”
11. Jonny Craig “Dream is a Question You Don’t Know How to Answer”
12. Slug & Murs “Felt 3: A Tribute to Rosie Perez”
13. A Day to Remember “Homesick”
ANTICIPATION FOR 2010
1. Celebrating 5 years of PHILLM – Jan 23 2010
2. New Sonsofnero.com
3. New PHILLM.com
4. Watching my Uncle run the Ironman in AZ (Nov 2010)
1. Architects – Hollow Crown
2. Oceana – Birtheater
3. Dredg – The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
4. Converge – Axe To Fall
5. Animals As Leaders – Self-titled
6. Closure In Moscow – First Temple
7. Circle Of Contempt – Artifacts In Motion
8. Oh Sleeper – Son Of The Morning
9. Chimaira – The Infection
10. Katatonia – Night Is The New Day
1. Bring Me The Horizon – Suicide Season Cut Up
2. Between The Buried And Me – The Great Misdirect
3. Mos Def – The Ecstatic
ANTICIPATIONS FOR 2010
1. This Or The Apocalypse’s record
2. Dillinger Escape Plan’s record
3. Good Fight & Sons Of Nero
4. Owning a Canon 1d Mark 4 or RED Epic/Scarlet
5. Hopefully a new iMac, MacBook Pro, or MacPro
Top 5 shows watched while on maternity leave:
1. Price is Right
2. Six Feet Under rerun marathons
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm reruns
4. Office reruns
We couldn’t have been more excited when Ferret Music and Shadows Fall decided to work together on the band’s new release ‘Retribution’ because that meant we were going to be doing some art for this legendary band. I remember getting ‘Of One Blood’ for my birthday the year it came out and listened to that CD repeatedly for years. Brian and the guys were awesome to work with and it was a pleasure creating art for this amazing release. There are a ton pre-order packages available on their Myspace Page.
They just released a video for their new single ‘Still I Rise’ – Preview It Here
Be sure to get your hands on the record when it hits shelves September 15th – it’s easily one of their best.
Check out the making of Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster’s Pre-Order Box Set!